Returning Your Unwanted Medications to Alleghany Family Pharmacy is Easy!
- Gather your expired or unused prescriptions and over-the-counter medications (including liquids).
- Keep them in their original containers. Mark out all personal information, but do not mark out the name of the medicine!
- Bring the medications to the pharmacy for free and safe disposal.
* Controlled substances or pharmaceutical waste from any other source besides households (i.e. clinics, pharmacies, hospitals) will not be accepted.
Although controlled substances cannot be accepted for disposal, unused or expired controlled medications should be mixed with used coffee grounds or kitty litter, placed in a sealable plastic bag and thrown in the trash.
- Prescription medications (except controlled*)
- All over-the-counter medications
- Medication samples
- Vitamins and supplements
- Medicated ointments, lotions and creams
- Liquid medication in original, leak-proof containers
- Pet medications
- Controlled prescriptions* (e.g. narcotics, vicodin, ritalin, codeine, lortab, oxycodone, valium, etc.)
- IV bags or infectious waste
- Personal care products
- Aerosol cans
- No pharmaceutical waste from any other source besides households (i.e. clinics, pharmacies, hospitals)
- Needles, sharps or diabetic waste.